How Long Can Torontonians Live With Mold?
Posted in Attic Mold Removal, on February 19, 2021
With Toronto’s high humidity and precipitation levels, it is no wonder that mold growth is becoming a serious problem for many homeowners. You may find it in the parts of your house that are damp or moist, more so when the average temperature in your house lies between 70 – 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Mold is a natural part of the environment, and its existence outside is essential for organic-matter decay. However, once it starts growing in your home, you may be at risk of developing health problems. Furthermore, mold can damage property in the house. For these reasons, you should be ready to invest in mold removal Toronto for your home. The damage that mold causes depends on the degree of exposure and how long it has been growing. Therefore, you must be cautious in order to recognize signs of mold growth in your home early.
Indicators of Mold Growth
The general rule with mold is ‘if can see it, then it is time to kill it.’ However, mold is not always visible, so you may require a few more indicators to help you know if you have it. Mold removal can be an intrusive exercise and is also a significant investment. The following pointers can help you to know when it is the right time to get mold removal services in Toronto.
- A musty odor in your home: As a homeowner, you should be familiar with the ‘normal scent’ of air within your home. You should be able to notice any changes with the air. If your home has a musty, damp smell that comes and goes, it is often an indication of mold growth. As mold grows, it releases pungent gasses known as microbial volatile organic compounds (or MVOCs). This is the musty odor coming from areas with mold growth. It is a result of different compounds being released into the air during various stages of mold growth. Most people liken this smell to wet, dirty gym socks, and it is prevalent in damp areas such as the bathroom, AC units, under the sink, and in the basement.
- Recent or regular water intrusion: If you have had any recent flooding or an event that has created pools of stagnant water within your home, then your home is at risk of mold colonies. Mold multiplies exponentially once it comes in contact with moisture. Therefore, when water seeps into the house and various surfaces, you will likely find mold growing in a day or two. Also, mold exists naturally in the environment. Flood water is likely to carry mold spores. Leaky pipes also pose the same threat.
- Discoloration: Mold consumes organic material for growth and survival. It often causes changes in the color of the organic material, and with enough time, you will recognize the discoloration. Discoloration on your paint and wallpaper is usually an indicator of mold. Additionally, mold species come in various colors, not just black. Visible growth can also be white, brown, red, green, and shades of pastels.
- Health effects: When you notice that your health and that of the other people in your home is deteriorating, you should definitely schedule mold removal Toronto. Some of the symptoms you should look out for include difficulty in breathing, coughing, headaches and nausea (that only occur when in the house), fever, and wheezing. Because mold spores are microscopic, they travel through the air, and when inhaled, they affect the proper function of respiratory systems. When members of your family exhibit these symptoms, you should seek professional help immediately.
How do I know if the mold in my home is toxic?
There are over 10,000 species of mold, but only a small percentage is found growing in homes. Most are harmless to humans, but some have ‘toxic’ properties. As a responsible homeowner, you should find out whether the mold in your home is harmless or at least non-toxic.
To the naked, untrained eye, it is difficult to identify a specific type of mold. Furthermore, despite what many people believe, the color of the mold does not directly equate its ‘toxicity’ level. Even the lighter colored species could cause equally severe symptoms. So how will you be able to tell?
If you and other occupants are experiencing respiratory problems such as coughing, wheezing, difficulty breathing, and sneezing, then the mold growth in your home is probably toxic and requires immediate removal. Another way to determine this is by seeking a professional mold removal service to test the mold.
When do I need to call a professional for mold removal?
The right time to seek mold removal in Toronto would be:
- When you begin exhibiting symptoms. If you or others within the home start experiencing mold exposure symptoms, you need to seek remediation services. Symptoms of mold exposure often progress with time and could lead to severe conditions such as allergic fungal sinusitis and mold-induced asthma.
- When you notice greenish-black mold. Often greenish black-colored mold is what is known as ‘black mold’. It is known to release harmful toxins that cause respiratory issues among humans and pets.
- When your food gets contaminated. Mold can grow in powdery food such as flour and spices. Though it is not that harmful to your health, it can be an inconvenience to cook with. Furthermore, consistent ingestion of moldy foods will cause stomach upsets and other conditions.
- When your wallpaper starts to peel. When your wallpaper begins to peel, or your paint starts to chip unexpectedly, you will require mold removal services. This is an indication of mold growing out of sight for at least a month. The colony could be massive and can cause a lot of damage to your walls.
- When you are having trouble getting work done. The musty smell and symptoms of exposure can easily affect your routine. You will find it hard to concentrate on anything, including watching TV. When this happens, you should seek professional mold removal services to make your home feel habitable again.
Mold removal and remediation is our expertise. The next time you find mold growing in your home, come to us for quick and effective removal. Trust us to make your home clean and safe again. We at Four Seasons Insulation Ltd. have been providing high-quality weatherproof solutions to Toronto homeowners since 1991.