IDENTIFYING THE SIGNS FOR AN UNDER INSULATED HOME
When it comes to home insulation in Toronto, Mississauga, or the surrounding areas, it is quite possible that your home may not have enough. Unless you got extra insulation done, during your home construction or renovation. The older homes in Mississauga, Toronto, and the greater Toronto area were built with much larger attic, which was not well insulated or deteriorated with time due to insulation losing its R-Value (likely due to compression), contamination, etc. Therefore, it’s always advisable to get your attic insulation inspected for a top-up or a replacement. A well-insulated home will not only add to your home comfort but will also, save money on your soaring energy bills.
Here Are Few Signs to Identify That Your Home Is Under-Insulated
- Cold rooms – If you find that some rooms in your home are colder or hotter than the others, then probably its poor insulation.
- Ice Dams on Your Roof – Ice dams form when the heating of a poorly insulated home rises, melting the layer of snow off your roof that drips down and freezes towards your gutters. These result in a large portion of ice or icicles to form often called ice dams.
- Frozen Pipes – Poorly insulated walls and crawl space may cause the pipes to freeze in the winters, this can cause huge damages for you.
- Cold Walls, Floors, and Ceiling – When you perform a touch test you can easily identify the ceilings, walls, and floors your home to be warm or cold. Improper or poor insulation results in the cooling of the drywall and paneling indoors.
- Water Leaks in the Attic – If you notice a leaky attic, then your insulation might be the cause. Water easily find its way in a poorly-insulated home, and results in many costly damages down the road, therefore, if you find a leak in your home then it’s time to get your home insulation replaced.
- Fluctuating Temperatures – A home with good insulation will always have even temperature throughout the house. However, if you feel your living room is warm but the kitchen or basement is too cold then, it’s a clear sign of improper or poor insulation.
- High Energy Bills – Compare your home energy bills in the last few years and if you see huge increases, this means that the insulation is either not done properly or has lost its R-value.
Get a Home Energy Audit
Insulation has 3 times more effect on overall home comfort and energy efficiency than windows and doors. In order to identify the areas wasting the most energy, get a home energy audit performed in GTA by a professional company specializing in basement/attic insulation in Mississauga, Toronto, and the surrounding areas.